Already famous in the 18th century, the viewing terrace near the Bernese Mint named «Belvédère» or «Bellevue» was to give its name to the Bellevue Hotel, which was opened on the same site in 1865. In 1911 the family enterprise was registered as a limited company, under whose name a new hotel was built on the site in 1912/13. The extremely modern building methods for the time made the building exceptionally safe with good fire protection and, thanks to airconditioning, particularly comfortable. Since then the hotel has often been the scene of historical events, serving as the General’s headquarters in the First World War, a centre for intelligence gathering in the Second World War and accommodation for illustrious state guests. Since 1995 the Confederation has been the major shareholder: the Bellevue has become a state-owned hotel. Day for day the renowned five-star hotel radiates hospitality, which we like to consider as one of our country’s best qualities.
The Bellevue Palace Hotel in Berne