St Gall cathedral was built in 1755–1770 as the church of the Benedictine monastery, which was dissolved in 1805. In the early and high Middle Ages this church, erected on the site of the hermitage of St Gallus, was one of the most important monasteries in the western world. Today the abbey archive and library still possess invaluable documentary evidence from that era. The baroque monastery complex testifies to the flowering of the prince-abbey in the 17th and 18th centuries. The church, like the neighbouring abbey library, built after the plans of Peter Thumb and decorated by the best South German artists of the day, forms the monumental conclusion of a long series of baroque abbey churches realized by Vorarlberg master builders. St Gall’s abbey district is on the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
St Gall Cathedral. The former Benedictine Abbey Church of St Gallus and St Otmar